In this article we list steps of basic Nginx configuration, in PROXY mode, with no SSL.
In order to improve web site loading speeds for our shared cPanel customers, RedyHost implemented high performance stack using Nginx.
Nginx works in two different modes, allowing to proxy requests to Apache (and cache static files) or to serve PHP scripts directly, bypassing slower Apache web server completely. In both cases Nginx supports Google's famous mod_pagespeed module, allowing to compress and minify web page size. mod_pagespeed is configured in core filters mode to avoid compatibility issues with different CMS and website types. Core filters proven to work great for 99.99% of use cases, reducing page size and number of connections for up to 3x times.
By default, for all new accounts, Nginx is configured in Proxy mode.
To access Nginx configuration
- login to cPanel and click Nginx link
Configuring a domain in Nginx Proxy mode
- Click Nginx link (see above)
- Select domain to manage and click Configure button
- Review existing configuration settings. Ensure Auto option is selected and click Submit button
- The next screen shows configuration settings. Select PROXY and click the PROCEED button
- Configure Nginx options
5.1 Nginx caching is disabled
5.2 Nginx caching is ENABLED
To activate Nginx cache, select the following option (no SSL):
- Check your website is operational. To reconfigure Nginx, click the N logo in the top left corner